Wednesday 17 June 2015

Turin - Day One


After I visited the Shroud, I went through this archway in a wall between the Cathedral and another building. As I stepped into the blinding sunlight, I found that I was in the Piazza Reale, right in front of the Palazzo Reale and just across the Piazza from the Palazzo Madama and the Church of San Lorenzo. GORGEOUS!! And I took 225 pictures. I'm not posting them all - I wouldn't have any bandwidth left - but here are some of my favorites! FYI - all future correspondance may be directed to me at the Palazzo Madama. I'm totally taking up residence there.

The Palazzo Madama (aka my new place) from the Piazza Reale. It originated as one of the Roman gates to the city, then was a Medieval fortress (you can see the red brick tower behind it, which is part of the whole thing), was the residence for the Dowager Queens of Savoy, and then used as the first National Senate after the unification of Italy in the 19th century.


The Palazzo Reale 
The inner courtyard of the Palazzo Reale 
The main ceremonial staircase of the P.R.

The ceiling of the ceremonial entryway. I know. Take a moment. I'll wait.





Can you imagine what that room looked like when all of those were real candles and lit at the same time? And, dear God, how hot it must have been?!

Honestly, I'm stunned I didn't trip and disgrace myself. I spent most of my time with my neck craned back to look at the ceilings.


The throne room

Even the shutters were gorgeous.




This is a malachite bowl from the Tsar of Russia to the King of Savoy. 

The private chapel off of the King's throne room.








The ceiling of the Medallion Room.






A gorgeous painted mirror above one of the doorways of the Medallion Room.





The ballroom. I almost jumped the rope and started waltzing. Seriously.






They call this the 'scissor staircase' for some really complex architectural reason that I can't completely remember. I think it's because the two branches of the staircase have their weight supported by the walls. 


The Church of San Lazare. I got there just in time to see about twenty priests start to suit up for Mass :) 







This was in the first room of the Medieval section of the Palazzo Madama. It's from a 16th century church.

One of the panoramic pictures I was able to take from the tower of the Palazzo Madama. The Alps are in the distance (the clouds are just skimming the tops of the peaks).

This kills me. It is a piece of German porcelain from the 18th century. I mean, it's an absolutely gorgeous cabbage but who knew this was even a thing?

If you look closely, you'll see 'United State of America' engraved on this punch bowl. It was a gift from the US to the King of Italy. And it's from Tiffany's! Way to have great taste, USA!

Gorgeous inlaid table


The Rococo Section was in the former apartments of the Queen. Seriously, you eventually get tired of gasping every time you enter a new room. But you can't help it!













This is the old Senate Room. It was closed as they were setting up a new display but I managed to peek in and get a picture.




The staircase just inside the entryway for the Palazzo Madama.

The ceiling of the main entryway to the Palazzo Madama.

2 comments:

  1. These pictures are gorgeous Alexis! I almost feel like I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mom! I'm so glad they turned out!

    ReplyDelete