Friday 1 November 2013

Week 3 - Something I forgot about Oxford Castle!

So this is really just a follow up to my Oxford Castle post. I posted a picture of the Crypt and mentioned that it was from the time of William the Conqueror. What I forgot to include was that a man named Geoffrey of Monmouth worked and taught in the Crypt in the 12th century. Now, don't think that he was teaching among a bunch of tombs or anything like that. At the time, it was actually part of the Castle school. Anyway, while teaching at the Oxford Castle school Geoffrey wrote a work called A History of the Kings of England. In this book, he developed the first stories of a king known as Arthur. Sound familiar? We have him to thank for Arthur, Guinevere, Lancelot, the Round Table, the whole thing. And I got to see where he wrote it :) I'll try to get better pictures of the Crypt when I go back but I just had to post about Geoffrey and King Arthur. It was one of the best things I learned that day!


No comments:

Post a Comment