Monday 21 October 2013

Week 2- Day 1 (October 21, 2013)

Another Monday here in Oxford! As you can see from the picture of my little garden, the day is a little gloomy but the city itself is so beautiful you really don't even notice a little bit of rain.

My patio in the back garden - how lucky am I?!
This morning began with a meeting with my dissertation supervisor. I have to work on building up my reservoir of knowledge so that I can narrow down my dissertation topic. It's a lot of reading but we had a great discussion this morning about various discussions and arguments that exist within the academic community regarding my topic/period. I have so much to learn but I'm excited to be delving into a subject that I enjoy so much!

After the meeting, I had some study time and then met a friend for lunch at one of the famous local pubs, the Eagle and Child.

Where the Inklings used to meet!
The Eagle and Child - known locally as the Bird and Baby:) - has been around FOREVER and is where J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and their friends met to discuss their work. I wonder how much of the Lord of the Rings series was dreamed up in here? It really is a beautiful pub and filled with so much history. And to top it all off, the food is wonderful! Really couldn't ask for more, right?

Now, though, I'm back at my apartment and this is what the rest of my day looks like:


So much to read and so little time, especially for the presentation I have to give on Wednesday. Fortunately, the material is really interesting. I'm just hoping that I get out of it what the professors want and that the presentation goes well. I'll be so happy to have it finished! Wish me luck:)

No comments:

Post a Comment